SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#82293 - 09/12/05 12:56 PM My "new" Ride...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just got a new "ride" and I'm pretty excited about it. It's a 1959 Cushman Highlander motorscooter, like the ones I had when I was growing up. My son, the "car guy" will help restore it over the winter. We're planning to completely disassemble it, powder coat the frame, install an 8 hp rebuilt engine (this one came with a big 5hp), a front disk brake, a speedometer (none on the original. Also no battery, turn signals, front brake),
new clutch, paint and so on. We'll take it to car shows when Ben shows one of his restored cars and use it when he has a DJ job using our old 56 Airstream. We'll have it ready the first of March. I bet lots of you folks have never even seen one. We got it started yesterday, and putted through a cloud of smoke for a few hundred yards.

Ah, the memories...

"Scooterman" Russ

#82294 - 09/12/05 02:36 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Scooterman......you mean this Highlander?

#82295 - 09/12/05 02:39 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
Fran Carango Offline

Maybe it will look more like this 62'

#82296 - 09/12/05 02:42 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
Fran Carango Offline

Or maybe this 61'

Have you had enuff?

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-12-2005).]

#82297 - 09/12/05 03:52 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Capt Russ. VERY Cool !

Scott

#82298 - 09/12/05 04:39 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
captain Russ Offline

Fran, the one I just got is option # 2. It has the plastic cover over the gas tank, which is parallel to the frame. I really wanted the one with the frame and the perpendicular aluminum gas tank (#1), because that is what I had in the late 50's-early 60's. I also had an Eagle (1960). The first Cushman I owned was a 55, I think. I was a called a 50, but this one I found is what they tell me is a 59. I'm told both Highlanders were available somewhere between 58 and 62. There's really no telling what year it is without finding the vin # and locating a list (I saw it on the web last week). Right now, I'm disassembling it, ordering parts and getting ready to haul it to the powder coat guy. Not much to these things...a centrifical clutch, chain, simple suspension, single cylender 5 hp motor, gear reduction kick start. Really easy to restore, I'm told. I'll keep you posted and get some photos when we're done, if anyone is interested.

"Scooterman" Russ

P.S. Fran, are any of these yours?

How Nerdy....WHAT FUN!

Are these yours?

#82299 - 09/12/05 05:47 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
Fran Carango Offline

Russ , none are mine...I remember running around on a Cushman golf cart when I was early teens.

When I grew up[yeah, like I grew up], I was into dirt bikes, and raced Motocross...
I didn't care for street bikes[a couple for a year or two]...too dangerous...other drivers do not respect people on bikes..

I have personally known people that have lost their lives[2], lost a leg[1], lost an arm[1], and lost a thumb[he doesn't hitch hike anymore]..

You have to be super careful on a bike and don't rely on other drivers to do the right thing..

Have fun, but be carefull...

My youngest son rides and I hope he gives it up soon....it is not worth the risk..especially when your family is depending that you stay alive[kids]..

#82300 - 09/12/05 05:59 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A lot of my friends had Cushman Eagles. A few had Mustangs, which were really hot. Also a few Vespas, or All-States if you bought them from Sears.
My mom wouldn't let me have one, so the very first thing I did when I got out of the house was buy a small Harley 2-cycle. Later got a Norton 500 single. Talk about torque!
DonM

#82301 - 09/12/05 09:08 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I just got a Vespa scooter a few weeks ago. It's my first (non-musical) toy I've given myself since I can remember. Much fun... and with the price of gas, at 65 mpg, it'll pay for itself one of these days!

Glenn

#82302 - 09/12/05 10:04 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi DonM,

What model was the Norton single you had?

My first bike was an ex-WD Norton 16H - 500cc side-valve. Yeah, it was all torque and not much go. My dad had a Model 18 and a Model 19, both 500 singles but I can't remember if they were side-valve or overhead.

#82303 - 09/13/05 06:17 AM Re: My "new" Ride...
captain Russ Offline

My other bike now is a 650 Suzuki single. It only weighs 354 lbs. I also have a 150 cc Kymco scooter. Not real well known in the US, but one of the largest manufacturers of 2 wheeled vehicles in the world. Use it at the office to do pick-ups, lunch, wherever parking is a problem.Will cruise at 55 easily, even with my big butt on it.

You're right about the torque on large singles.

Have had over 40 bikes, scooters, etc. The Cushman is mostly a fun project and nostalgic. Don't expect to put many miles on that neat old thing.

Russ

#82304 - 09/13/05 06:43 AM Re: My "new" Ride...
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Russ:
Alright, I'm green with envy, Had a 1942 cushman at age 12, there's no place in the state of Ariz. that me and that Cushman have not been. Have been dreaming of finding a Eagle and restoring it ever since.

The "rich" kids had eagles, one had a Powell, He was the envy of the town. Mine had the metal box with a trunk on the back, which I promply removed and made a pipe frame, we called them air frames. I put so many miles on that machine, that I overhauled the engine twice, and wore out 2 sets of tires and about three clutches, It had a two speed tranny.

Post a pic when she's finished.......Pose

#82305 - 09/13/05 08:23 AM Re: My "new" Ride...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
Hi DonM,

What model was the Norton single you had?

My first bike was an ex-WD Norton 16H - 500cc side-valve. Yeah, it was all torque and not much go. My dad had a Model 18 and a Model 19, both 500 singles but I can't remember if they were side-valve or overhead.

I really don't remember, it was in the late 60's. But it was fun to ride. I rode it about 40 miles round trip to work in Tulsa for a few months.
On weekends we would go to an old abandoned brick plant and ride up and down the excavations. Lucky I'm still alive!
DonM

#82306 - 09/13/05 10:17 AM Re: My "new" Ride...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Russ,

I envy you. I've always wanted to restore a Cushman or a Vespa. I do now have all the tools needed including a gas welding outfit. I now need to redo my garage to make space. One of the things in my garage taking up space is a baby grand that I want to restore. Someday when I have more time .....

Tom

Tom

#82307 - 09/13/05 10:26 AM Re: My "new" Ride...
captain Russ Offline

Hey Tom, glad to hear from you. Really glad you're OK! Let's hear it for "Toys for Big Boys"!

temporarily, "scooterman" Russ

#82308 - 09/13/05 10:57 AM Re: My "new" Ride...
renig Offline

So far in this topic I haven't seen any mention of Lambretta scooters. Were they ever available in the US?

Lambrettas were Italian made and were the chief rivals to Vespa in the 60's in the UK. These machines were (I think) 150cc two-stroke, and were the transport of choice for the 'mods' in the 'mods & rockers' era.

Like their Vespa counterparts, they used to be dressed up pretty nicely, too. Usually the big side panels would be chromed, tassels flying from the ends of the handlebars and a windshield added also. Often there'd be a chrome bar across the front with a couple of fog lamps fitted. Any former 'mods' here from the UK who could comment further on this?

#82309 - 09/13/05 01:23 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
captain Russ Offline

Obviously not a "mod", but I did live in England in Swindon when my dad was in the service and had access to a Lambretta. Saw a bunch of "mods" and was given an interesting book for Christmas several years ago about the whole mod culture, with many photos of bikes and people.

The Lambretta I rode was 150 cc and would more than keep up with a P200E Vespa. There was a limited distribution of Lambrettas in the US in the late 50's and early 60's. There's one for sale here in Lexington, which is driven daily. I'm researching availability of parts now. They are much more complicated than Cushmans, so getting one for restoration would be a big deal for my two left thumbs to handle.

Lambrettas are really neat and FAST. Next, I think I'll try to buy some old Shure Vocalmasters and "fix em up"! (Just kidding)

Russ

#82310 - 09/13/05 08:06 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
Fran Carango Offline

54' Lambretta

#82311 - 09/13/05 08:43 PM Re: My "new" Ride...
renig Offline

Hey, that's cool Fran! I haven't seen one of that vintage before. They sure smartened them up by 1963.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online